Monday, May 18, 2009

The Balance

One Friday last spring, since I attended the writing workshop on Saturday, I could not take my regular Saturday morning ikebana class, I went Friday noon instead. My teacher had prepared palm leaves and taught weaving.

I like weaving, but it takes much longer time to finish. Since I had to go back work by 1pm, I rushed myself. I finished my weaving, put it inside the vase, then I realized the problem – it was TOO balanced.

I should try to insert the palm leaf before starting the weaving to get the feel about the angle and use the weaving to made adjustment. It was too late to start over. So I figured out a way to bring it some dynamic. I arranged the flowers on one site only. With the hanging flowers, that boring look changed.

This is the same idea like in other visual arts. We use the frame of the work, the color, the shape of the floral materials and so on to create balance in an ikebana artwork. Without balance feeling, it would not look good. On the other hand, if it’s too balanced, the artwork would look boring.

Do you agree with me? Do you think that I did good job to make the arrangement interesting?

Enjoy it and Happy Monday!

In Friendship through Flowers,
Yirou.
(5-4-2009)

点击这里看本文的中文版

2 comments:

Bee Lee said...

Yeah, I think you did great :-) It looks like the Ching Dynasty's concubines hair decoration too :-)

以柔 said...

eh, it does look like that. thanks to visit.